I am currently a Leverhulme Early Career Fellow based at the Centre for Plant Integrative Biology at the University of Nottingham, with joint affiliation to the School of Biosciences and the School of Mathematical Sciences. My research focusses on creating and using multiscale mathematical models to investigate aspects of hormone-regulated plant growth and development.
One aspect of my work investigates the transport of the hormone auxin, which moves within the root tissue in a polar manner due to spatially distributed membrane proteins. I am using multiscale asymptotic techniques to determine how the membrane-protein distribution determines the effective tissue-scale transport. I am also interested in how the auxin-transport dynamics affect downstream processes at the subcellular scale, such as signal transduction and gene regulation. As well as using analytical techniques, I am adapting the transport and gene-network models to produce vertex-based simulations using the OpenAlea software, which enable us to investigate the dynamics using realistic tissue geometries.
Another focus of my work is the hormone GA’s regulation of cell growth. We have constructed a multiscale model to investigate the interplay between growth regulatory processes on multiple scales, including hormone transport, gene regulation, cell-wall remodelling and cell growth. Considering wild type, treated and mutant roots, the model provides an explanation for why the particular phenotype is observed, and we have validated the model results experimentally by performing detailed morphological analysis.
Prior to CPIB, my research was in the fields of mathematical medicine and biomechanics. In my previous postdoctoral position, I modelled the encrustation of urethral catheters to understand the dynamics of the crystal clusters that aggregate and deposit on the catheter surface, reducing the catheter’s lumen and inhibiting the urine flow. By incorporating Smoluchowski coagulation theory into a fluid-mechanical model, we obtained a system of reaction–advection–diffusion equations that describe the spatially inhomogeneous concentrations of crystal clusters. We used the model to predict the crystal dynamics, and suggest methods to reduce catheter encrustation.
I completed my PhD at the University of Nottingham, under the supervision of Dr Sarah Waters and Prof. David Riley. In my thesis, I developed models of arterial plaques, modelling the cholesterol region of a plaque as a thin film of viscous fluid lining a cylindrical tube and capturing the variations in the properties of the plaque by prescribing an azimuthally varying interfacial tension. Exploiting the symmetries of the evolution equation, we identified a number of unstable steady solutions using asymptotic methods, whereas numerical investigations of the large-time film dynamics revealed steady solutions featuring a drained region. Such drained-region steady states are reminiscent of the arc-shaped cholesterol regions that are commonly seen within arterial plaques, and therefore the model provides a possible explanation for the prevalence of this plaque configuration.
- Rosemary J. Dyson, , Leah R. Band, Anwesha N. Fernandes, Andrew P. French, John A. Fozard, T. Charlie Hodgman, Kim Kenobi, Tony P. Pridmore, Michael Stout, Darren M. Wells, Michael H. Wilson, Malcolm J. Bennett & Oliver E. Jensen2014Mechanical modelling quantifies the functional importance of outer tissue layers during root elongation and bendingNew Phytologist 202 (4), 1212-1222
- Leah R. Band*, Darren M. Wells*, John A. Fozard, Teodor Ghetiu, Andrew P. French, Michael P. Pound, Michael H. Wilson, , , , Jaesung Oh, Simon P. Pearce, , , , , , , T. Charlie Hodgman, Tony P. Pridmore, Ranjan Swarup, John R. King & Malcolm J. Bennett2014Systems Analysis of Auxin Transport in the Arabidopsis Root ApexThe Plant Cell 26 (3), 862-875
- Benjamin Péret, Alistair M. Middleton, Andrew P. French, Antoine Larrieu, Anthony Bishopp, , Darren M. Wells, Silvana Porco, Nathan Mellor, Leah R. Band, , , , , , , , , , , , John R. King, Ive De Smet, Tony Pridmore, Markus Owen & Malcolm J. Bennett2013Sequential induction of auxin efflux and influx carriers regulates lateral root emergenceMolecular Systems Biology 9 (1)
- Leah R. Band & Malcolm J. Bennett2013Mapping the site of action of the Green Revolution hormone gibberellinProceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 110 (12), 4443-4444
- Leah R. Band, John A. Fozard, Anthony Hampstead, , , , John R. King, Oliver E. Jensen# & 2013Buckling as an origin of ordered cuticular patterns in flower petalsJournal of The Royal Society Interface 10 (80) ,
- L. R. Band, , & 2013Steady symmetric low-Reynolds-number flow past a film-coated cylinderEuropean Journal of Applied Mathematics 24 (01), 1-24
- L. R. Band, R. J. Dyson, , D. M. Wells, , N. M. Everitt, O. E. Jensen & Z. A. Wilson2012A biomechanical model of anther opening reveals the roles of dehydration and secondary thickeningNew Phytologist 196 (4), 1030–1037 ,
- Leah R. Band, John A. Fozard, , Oliver E. Jensen, Tony Pridmore, Malcolm J. Bennett & John R. King2012Multiscale Systems Analysis of Root Growth and Development: Modeling Beyond the Network and Cellular ScalesThe Plant Cell Online 24 (10), 3892-3906
- Benjamin Péret, , , Leah R. Band, Ute Voß, , , , , Mikaël Lucas, Darren M. Wells, , , John R. King, Oliver E. Jensen, , & Malcolm J. Bennett2012Auxin regulates aquaporin function to facilitate lateral root emergenceNature Cell Biology 14 (10), 991-998
- R.J. Dyson, L.R. Band & O.E. Jensen2012A model of crosslink kinetics in the expanding plant cell wall: Yield stress and enzyme actionJournal of Theoretical Biology 307, 125-136
- Leah R. Band*#, Susana Úbeda-Tomás*, Rosemary J. Dyson, Alistair M. Middleton, , Markus R. Owen, Oliver E. Jensen, Malcolm J. Bennett & John R. King2012Growth-induced hormone dilution can explain the dynamics of plant root cell elongationProceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 109 (19), 7577-7582
- Leah R. Band*, Darren M. Wells*, Antoine Larrieu*, Jianyong Sun*, Alistair M. Middleton*, Andrew P. French, , , Michael H. Wilson, Benjamin Péret, , Ranjan Swarup, , , , , Jonathan M. Garibaldi, , Markus R. Owen, , , Tony P. Pridmore, John R. King, & Malcolm J. Bennett#2012Root gravitropism is regulated by a transient lateral auxin gradient controlled by a tipping-point mechanismProceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 109 (12), 4668-4673
- L. Band & J. King2011Multiscale modelling of auxin transport in the plant-root elongation zoneJournal of Mathematical Biology1-43
- Mikael Lucas*, , , Leah R. Band, , , , Benjamin Péret, John R. King, , , , Malcolm J. Bennett, & 2010Auxin Carriers Localization Drives Auxin Accumulation in Plant Cells Infected by Frankia in Casuarina glauca Actinorhizal NodulesPlant Physiology 154 (3), 1372-1380 , ,
- Jamie Twycross*, Leah R Band*, Malcolm J Bennett, John R King & Natalio Krasnogor2010Stochastic and deterministic multiscale models for systems biology: an auxin-transport case studyBMC Systems Biology 4 (1), 34
- L. Band, , & 2009Modelling crystal aggregation and deposition in the catheterised lower urinary tractJournal of Mathematical Biology 59 (6), 809-840
- L. R. Band*, , , & 2009Annular Thin-Film Flows Driven by Azimuthal Variations in Interfacial TensionThe Quarterly Journal of Mechanics and Applied Mathematics 62 (4), 403-430
- Leah R. Band, , , Oliver E. Jensen, & 2009Intracellular Flow in Optic Nerve Axons: A Mechanism for Cell Death in GlaucomaInvestigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 50 (8), 3750-3758
- L.R. Band, R.J. Dyson, , , O.E. Jensen, , , S. Pearce, , , & 2013Biomechanical modelling of anther dehiscence and pollen releaseProceedings of the 4th Mathematics in the Plant Sciences Study Group ,
- Leah R. Band, John A. Fozard, , Anthony Hampstead, Oliver E. Jensen, , Nathan Mellor, & 2013Modelling the formation of diffraction gratings on top of iridescent petal epidermisProceedings of the 5th Mathematics in the Plant Sciences Study Group ,
- LR Band, RJ Dyson, , & 2010Intracellular dynamics of secretory vesicles in the tip of growing pollen tubesProceedings of the 3rd Mathematics in the Plant Sciences study group
- LR Band, SP Preston, & 2009Modelling landrace structure in under-utilised crops: the bambara groundnut exampleProceedings of the 2nd Mathematics in the Plant Sciences Study Group
- AM Middleton, RJ Dyson, LR Band, , DM Wells, TJ Holman, J Twycross & OE Jensen 2008The Mechanics of Arabidopsis Seed GerminationProceedings of the Mathematics in the Plant Sciences Study Group